The West Cheshire Local Safeguarding Adults Board is a multi-agency partnership committee, co-ordinated by Cheshire West and Chester Council, which provides strategic leadership for adult safeguarding across the borough. It has an independent Chair and its remit is to agree objectives, set priorities and co-ordinate the strategic development of adult safeguarding.
The Board acts as a forum for agreeing how agencies should co-operate to safeguard adults at risk and ensure that local arrangements work effectively to bring about positive outcomes for local people. It is responsible for ensuring that the systems in place locally to protect people at risk are proportionate, balanced and responsive, that lessons are learned by way of safeguarding adult reviews in cases where there have been poor outcomes, and that awareness is raised in respect of abuse and what can done about it.
The West Cheshire Local Safeguarding Adults Board is governed by a Memorandum of Agreement which all agencies sign up to.
- Empowerment; we will Make Safeguarding Personal, put people at the centre of the system and ensure that decisions are driven by the adult at risk
- Prevention; we will communicate as effectively as possible with front-line staff, the community and between Board members to raise awareness of safeguarding issues, promote the available steps and ensure that they are taken before harm occurs
- Proportionality; we will engage the most proportionate and least intrusive response appropriate to risks presented, as outlined within our Policies and Procedures
- Protection; we will work closely with the Local Safeguarding Children’s Board on vulnerable groups, involving issues such as radicalisation, sexual exploitation, street activity and transition; and ensure that we secure support and representation for those most in need
- Partnerships; we will work with our residents to promote local solutions, and check, challenge and intervene in wider safeguarding issues in the community
- Accountability; we will establish clear and high standards and be accountable and transparent in delivering effective safeguarding
- Decide when a Safeguarding Adult Review is necessary, arrange for its conduct and, if we so decide, implement the findings
- Publish an annual report detailing what we have done during the year, as well as report the findings of any Safeguarding Adults Reviews (SARs) and reference any ongoing reviews
- Publish a strategic plan for each financial year that sets out how we will meet our main objective, what each member will do to implement the strategy – and, in developing the plan, consult our local Healthwatch organisation and the community.
Our members are as follows:
- Cheshire West and Chester Council
including senior representation from:
- Adult Social Care
- Prevention and Wellbeing
- Public Health
- Children’s Services
- Children’s Safeguarding
- West Cheshire CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group)
- Vale Royal CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group)
- Cheshire Police
- Age UK
- Cheshire and Wirral Partnership
- Cheshire Fire
- National Probation Service Cheshire
- Countess of Chester Hospital
- North West Ambulance Service
- East Cheshire NHS Trust
- Mid Cheshire Hospital Trust